Hiking in Fort Collins | Horsetooth, Trails & Dogs
Summer tends to bring out our wild side, and we can’t wait to share our favorite (and most secret) hiking spots with you! Whether you’ve kicked up the dust on this trail hundreds of times, or are looking to explore somewhere new, our favorite hiking trails have adventure written all over them!
Best Hiking Trails in Fort Collins
Horsetooth Rock Trail
No trip to Fort Collins is complete without a hike up to Horsetooth Rock! This trail has two options: one steeper, longer version that leads up to the famous “horse tooth” shaped rock that sits high above our city, and another shorter, yet absolutely beautiful hike through the woods to the waterfall that sits behind it. The 2 trails total 3.8 miles. (Note that there is a day fee to park in the lot for this trailhead. Ask the front desk for more details!)
Big “A” Trail
Also known as the Foothills Trail, this meandering hike will lead you up to the painted “A” that sits above the former CSU college football stadium (Hughes Stadium). Perfect for an afternoon hike, this trail has 4 easy trails totaling 2.5 miles, along with a longer 6.2 mile trail as well.
Lory State Park Trails
Looking to just meander around for a while? Look no further than Lory State Park. This park is just a short car ride outside the city, and boasts some of the best hiking trails around. Short, long, easy, and more difficult hikes are available for those seeking a day in the sun, so be sure to bring a backpack full of snacks for your hike! This park has 6 easy trails totaling 8.3 miles, 6 moderate trails totaling 7.3 miles, and 3 difficult trails totaling 6.9 miles.
What to Bring on a Hike in Fort Collins
Now that you’ve got your destination mapped, it’s time to bring some essentials! And what better way to experience a Fort Collins hiking trail than with some Fort Collins provisions.
Lunch Time Essentials
- Backcountry Delicatessen has some of the best ready-made sandwiches in town. Grab a few for your journey, and make sure you pack chips and a pickle for when hunger strikes!
- Maybe you’ve got a sweet tooth while on the trail? Make sure to stop by The Cupboard before you head up to the mountains – they’ve got a full selection of portable sweets (including truffles!) for the trip.
- Don’t forget to bring something to keep you hydrated! One of our favorite Downtown businesses, Revolution Market is just around the corner from us. They’re fully stocked with drinks, snacks, and other delicious items for your hike!
Hiking is one of our most popular attractions here in Fort Collins, and with the mountains just a short car ride away you’ll want to head up as soon as you can! To ensure your trip is as sunny and fun as possible, make sure you bring:
- Bug spray
- Hiking boots (NOTE: some trails are flat enough to walk in tennis shoes – stop by the front desk to ask which ones you should hike first!)
- A hat
- Food & snacks
- A backpack (if you’d like to carry all your delicious snacks with you.)
Summertime in Fort Collins is just waiting for you to come and enjoy. Book your room with us, then get out there and explore!
Looking for even more things to do? Check out our guide to The Best Place to Stay in Fort Collins, then book your stay with us! We can’t wait to share this spring with you.